The University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) has a China Research Centre, which is leading China research focusing on contemporary China. The UTS also offers contemporary China and Chinese language & culture subjects to students across all faculties. To support China research and teaching, UTS library has put its efforts on developing Chinese collections. What we have:
- A special collection of books and documents on communist party, political movements, works of famous communist leaders, particular regions (e.g. Shanxi, Hebei, etc.), women studies and literature. Many of them are out of print copies and can be one of very few copies existing overseas.
- Databases of journals, newspapers, reference works, yearbooks and theses. We have a current subscription of China Academic Journals, China Core Newspapers, China Doctoral Dissertations, China Masters' Theses, China Reference Works Online, China Statistical Yearbooks, WiseNews and Westerlaw China.
- A collection of Chinese movies and documentary films. We have been building up a good collection of Chinese movies and documentary films supporting class teaching and research. It includes a small unique collection of Chinese independent documentary films.
- A collection of various Chinese language and culture learning materials including books, video/DVD series, learning kits and programs.
- A dedicated space where students can access to overseas and local Chinese newspapers and magazines. Students can also watch Chinese news channels via 3 plasma TVs.
We will continue to investigate relevant Chinese resources supporting China studies at UTS. We also welcome China researchers from other universities to come and use our collections or request copies via the Inter-library loan service.